The 48 Hour Film Project is creating a 48 Virtual Studio to make a feature film and we're looking for talented filmmakers and writers. The first step with any film is the story and we asked you for your ideas.
A logline is a 2-3 sentence summary of a film that tells us:
- What the story is about
- Who the main character(s) are
- What the main conflict is
Here's an example: Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl seeks a way home to Kansas, befriending along the way a scarecrow without a brain, a tin woodsman without a heart, and a lion without courage.
Some advice on writing a good logline:
- The logline's job is to provide a quick sense of the story and make us want more.
- It presents the major plot of the story without character intricacies and sub-plots.
- It is the story boiled down to its essential essence.
- Many writing books encourage you to write the logline before you write the story, to clarify the intent of the story from the start.
If your logline is selected as the basis for our feature film, you will receive onscreen credit and the opportunity to be one of the scriptwriters. Remember, all submissions are posted online and are available to the general public. If you've got a great film idea or pet project that you don't want to share, no problem. Keep that one for yourself and submit something else.