Becoming a 48HFP City Producer
Being a 48 Hour Film Project City Producer is a great opportunity for someone who would like to gain valuable experience organizing the local leg of the world's largest and most beloved timed film competition.
The 48HFP city producer organizes cool and exciting film events and screenings for filmmakers, helps cultivate the local film community, and becomes a key player in one of the largest and most respected networks of independent filmmakers and producers around the world.
How It Works
48HFP producers are important business partners with the global 48 Hour Film Project organization. It's almost like running your own small business or franchise. We provide the training, guidance and support, and the 48HFP name and operational systems that have been successful in over 130 different cities all around the world.
Producers make money from the film screening events and sponsorships. They are responsible for the costs of running the events (things like theater rental, film mastering, etc.) and pay a producer's fee to the global 48HFP at the end of the event. It's a lot of hard work, there is some financial risk involved, but the vast majority of producers that follow our 48HFP business models and guidance are able to make a profit from their work.
Our producers are individuals or organizations with strong ties to the local film community. They are filmmakers, producers, actors, event planners, film groups, and the makers and shakers of the indie film world. A successful producer candidate will have many of the following qualities:
- experience in and passion for the independent film/media industry
- excellent organizational and communication skills
- an existing network of personal and professional contacts with groups, businesses, and individuals in the film, media, and arts communities
- lives in or near the 48HFP city/metro area that they would be producing
- previous festival and/or event planning experience
- creativity and problem-solving skills
- comfortable with technology (email, social media, Skype, Dropbox, Word software, etc.- experience in film & photo editing is a plus)
- the willingness to put in the time and effort to make the 48HFP a great event for local filmmakers
- the determination to rise above challenges to become a successful city producer
The producer's duties and expectations include (but are not limited to) the following:
- overall organization and on-site management of all local competition events including Kickoff & Dropoff, Premiere and Best Of screenings, and industry networking events
- outreach via email, social media, attendance at events, etc. to individual filmmakers, film groups, professional organizations, and arts groups.
- communication with participating filmmakers and adherence to all 48HFP rules, regulations, and standards
- quick and regular communication with 48HFP HQ via email, Skype, phone, conference calls, and regular meetings
- securing local sponsorship
- maintaining financial/budgetary guidelines for all events, regular and concise use of 48HFP email lists, social media accounts, etc.
Compensation & Benefits
As anyone working in the film industry probably already knows, the work of the producer can be tough, intense, and often thankless, while still being one of the most exhilarating and rewarding experiences of your life. In addition to that experience, the 48HFP is happy to offer the following benefits:
- revenue share of income from all screenings
- revenue share of local cash sponsorships
- bonuses based on performance
- free pass to Filmapalooza
- film festival, communications/PR, social media/marketing, and other industry-related training opportunities
It is a great way to meet filmmakers in your city and to make a name for yourself.
City Producers are not eligible to participate in the 48 Hour Film Project.
Ready to join our team?
Press the button below to be taken to our online application and a list of cities where we're currently hiring producers. If there's not currently a 48HFP in your city, learn more about how you can add it to our filmmaking tour.