Judging Criteria 48 Hour Film Project
In the past our panels of judges have included film critics, producers, actors, and other filmmakers.
Considerations For Best Film
- Artistic Merit (story, creativity, entertainment, etc.) - 45%
- Technical Merit - 30%
- Adherence to the Assignment - 25%
All films, on-time and late, are eligible for the Audience Award, which is determined by audience ballot at the premiere screenings in each city.
Grand Prize 48 Hour Film Project
An international panel of judges will select the Best Film of 2019 from among the best film of each city. The winner will be announced at our Awards Ceremony at Filmapalooza 2020 and they will receive:
- The Grand Prize Trophy
- $5000 USD Cash Prize
Cannes Film Festival
Each year we take a selection of our Top Films to the Cannes Film Festival Short Film Corner.
Local Prizes 48 Hour Film Project
The winner of Best Film of 2019 in each city receives:
- Filmapalooza Screening: The City Winner will be screened at Filmapalooza 2020, the official 48HFP Awards Weekend.
- A Trophy which will be presented at Filmapalooza.
- Movie Magic Screenwriter Software 6: The premier screenwriting software and the choice of Hollywood. ($250 value)
- VEGAS Pro Editing Software (USA Only): Additionally, the winner of Best Editing will receive a special creator bundle--VEGAS Pro, Sound Forge, & Acid Pro ($900 value)
- Some cities may have additional prizes.
Other awards may include:
- Best Acting
- Best Cinematography
- Best Directing
- Best Editing
- Best Musical Score
- Best Sound Design
- Best Special Effects
- Best Use of Character
- Best Use of Prop
- Best Use of Line
- Best Writing